Monday 18 July 2011

Fiction Express: Rémy Brunel and the Ocean of Light, Chapter One

Fiction Express - one of my favourite websites - just launched a brand new book!  An
amazing one!  It's called Rémy Brunel and the Ocean of Light, and it's a historical novel (YES)!  Have a look:



No-one performs on the circus trapeze like sixteen-year-old Rémy Brunel. But when the circus closes for the night, Rémy leads another life, as a cat burglar and jewel thief. Forced by the evil circus owner Gustave to attempt the theft of one of the world's most valuable diamonds, Rémy thinks it will be just another heist, but when she meets determined young detective Thaddeus Rec, her life changes forever. Will Thaddeus manage to rescue the jewel from Rémy’s nimble fingers? Or is it really Rémy that he needs to save?

Review:
The first chapter drew me in instantly.  This story is just so different from the others: I loved it!  Rémy has had an unusual life, pick-pocketing since she could walk before moving onto jewels at the age of eight.  Now she's the best jewel thief out there.  But, despite her odd background, she's a strong character, one I just connected with instantly.  And as for Thaddeus, a detective and our other protagonist, he was just as well thought out.  He was slightly different than the other police, being interested in new technology (such as night-vision goggles) and more cautious police-work.  I can't wait to see where the whole cops-and-robbers angle goes...  Overall, a very strong and addictive start to a brilliant book.  Plus, it ended on such a cliffhanger!  I really enjoyed it, and I think you should all go try it out.  Now!

Did I convince you?  'Cause this chapter really is worth a look.  If you want to read and vote, get over there now!  You have until 29th July to make your decision.  Hope you like it as much as I did!

3 comments:

rachel said...

Great review! :D

Cliona said...

I'll have to be getting to this sometime soon! Great review.

Zoe said...

I love this chapter too! Good review! :)

My review is here: http://bookhi.blogspot.com/2011/07/fiction-express-remy-brunel-and-ocean.html