Saturday 2 April 2011

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy, Book Two
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: Paperback
Published: USA: 2009
UK Edition: 2009
Number of Pages: 455
Book: Bought
Genre: Dystopia, Science-Fiction, Action, Fantasy, YA
Recommended Age: Young Adult, 12+
Contains Violence, Death, Suspense

 WARNING: Contains Spoilers From Previous Books

Katniss Everdeen survived the Hunher Games.
Now the Capitol wants revenge.

Review:
I started reading Catching Fire the moment I finished The Hunger Games.  And I only put it down for the bare necessities until I finished.  I sat and read half the book in a matter of hours.  Less, even.
It picks up a little while after the first ended; Katniss and Peeta living in Victors Village.  Rumours of uprisings.  And they’re to blame.  So the Capitol and President Snow is out to get them.  They want revenge, and will not stop until they’ve got it...
It was amazing.  I’m honestly not sure how to put all the emotions I felt during it into words.  Suzanne Collins has this unnerving knack for creating these incredible, unforeseeable twists that left me shocked, hooked and often terrified.  An amazing, amazing gift that she uses unbelievably well.
I had no idea where she was going after the first book – after all, what book could possibly come after The Hunger Games, one of the most terrifying and powerful reads I’ve ever gone through?  Well, it was completely unpredictable, and completely genius, zooming straight past my expectations and beyond.  The perfect sequel, in my opinion.
The feel of the book was unbelievably real and intense.  I literally felt every emotion.  Everything dripped with it: words, actions, threats.  Over and over again, I was thrown off balance by some gesture or exchange, and I had no clue what was going on.  And I loved it.  And, once again, Collins has created an emotional roller coaster that has left my head reeling, my heart pounding and my entire body craving more.  It’s so addictive it’s untrue.
And I have to say that her cliff-hanger is honestly inhumane.  Literally.  It left me breathless and shaky.  And my draw honestly dropped open.  The one good thing about reading a series late is that you don’t have to wait.  I have Mockingjay already (yes!), something I am eternally grateful for.
It’s hard to say any more without actually giving anything away.  Besides, how do you describe a book so incredible you can barely put it into words inside your own head? So, it started off slow – nothing much happened in Part 1 – but from then on took off at that breakneck speed I adored from the first book.  Once again everything was completely realistic and believable.  Katniss is such a genuine character, it felt like I knew her.  I felt all of her emotions; all the confusion and love and pain.  Sometimes it was so real it actually hurt.  And the supporting cast were perfect and lifelike too.  Especially Peeta – the sweet, rational baker who loves Katniss more than anything – and Haymitch – the drunk Victor from the 50th Hunger Games, and coach to Peeta and Katniss.  I couldn’t even find anything to pick about in the rather shallow but endearing stylists of Katniss, who come from the Capitol.  Everything was... well... perfect. 
That’s how to describe it.  Perfect.
With enough emotions to have you petrified, crying, laughing, and hooked, The Hunger Games Trilogy is absolutely amazing so far.  It makes me think, feel and believe.  I even yelled at it at one point (luckily I was alone, so no one could stare at me like I had completely lost the plot).  I love it.  Perfect.
If you haven’t read this series, what are you waiting for?  Go now!  This second!  The minute this is posted I’m running off to grab my copy of Mockingjay from one of the wobbly piles in my bedroom. 
Do the same!
You will not be disappointed.

Oh, and Team Peeta Forever!

 Can I just add that I love, love, love this cover, and wish I had a higher rating than 5.

Star Rating:
5 Out of 5



Read this book if you liked:
Gone by Michael Grant

Challenges It's Taking Part In:

8 comments:

T.B. said...

Haha, go Team Peeta! Glad you liked this one so much! It's such a great series, and I can't wait to hear what you think of Mockingjay! Oh, haha, I'll be reviewing Through Her Eyes soon. Just wanted to let you know. It was really good. :)

Kristi The Book Faery said...

Beautiful Review!

The Hunger Games Series is my FAVORITE series! I've read it twice and I picked up things the second time around that I didn't pick up the first time around.

Bravo!

Kristi-The Book Faery

Cliona said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if I didn't!

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

TB: Peeta's the best! I've been lovin' it so far! Awesome! Now I can see what it's really like! Thanks for letting me know!
Kristi: I'm loving it sooo much! It's so incredible! And thank you! :)
Cliona: Ah, yep, love it! (:

Thanks for all your comments!

Jenny said...

So glad you are loving this series, it's amazing isn't it? And you are very lucky you didn't have to wait for Mockingjay, inhumane is the perfect way to describe the cliffhanger! Can't wait for your thoughts on Mockingjay:)

Aylee said...

"And I have to say that her cliff-hanger is honestly inhumane"

Heh, yeah I felt the same way. So cruel seeing as how I had to wait a year after that for Mockingjay to come out! Glad you are enjoying the series and I can't wait to hear what you think of Mockingjay because I know a lot of people were disappointed with it (though I personally loved it!).

Anonymous said...

I have not read this book yet, but I soooo need to! Excellent review, by the way :) Your blog is so cute!

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

Jenny: And yes, it's sooo amazing! Oh, one of the worst cliffhangers ever! I'm really enjoying Mockingjay! :)
Aylee: Ooh, the one good thing about being behind on series! No wait! Well, I'm lovin' it so far... I should be finished soon!
Sonny: You really have to read this series, it's amazing! And thank you!

Thanks for all your comments!