Friday 4 October 2013

Month of Guests 2013: Jana Oliver


The lovely Jana Oliver is here today, doing an awesome character interview!!  I hope you enjoy it - and check out her new book Briar Rose!! :D

Briar Rose Character Interview!

We’ve managed to talk two of the lead characters from Briar Rose (Jana Oliver’s new twisty and dark young adult retelling of Sleeping Beauty) into joining us today.
Welcome, ladies!
Briar Rose: Okay. Hi! ::waves shyly::
Reena: Okay, I’m here. What do you want to know?
Moderator: Tell us a little about yourself.
Briar: Well, I’m almost sixteen and I live in this tiny town in Georgia. It’s called Bliss, but trust me, it’s nothing like that. Pretty boring, actually. Did I mention it’s tiny?
Reena: What she said, except I’m seventeen and I’m her best friend who got conned into doing this thing. ::glares at Briar:: You sooo owe me.
Moderator: That’s a good start. So I have to ask -- any cute guys in Bliss?
Briar: ::smiles:: There’s a few cuties in our school, but the real hottie is Patterson Daniels. He’s a transplant from Ohio and he’s a complete hunk.
Reena: And a total butthead. His ego is as big as his pecs.
Briar: Ouch. How can you not think he’s hot?
Reena: Easy. He opens his mouth and you see the real guy behind the pretty face. Now if you said you thought Josh was cute, I could go with that.
Moderator: So who is this Josh guy?
Briar: Well, he’s…Joshua Quinn, and we used to be best buds, but that all changed. There’s this thing between our families and now I’m not supposed to be anywhere near him.
Moderator: Why?
Briar: It’s…messy. The bottom line is that his crazy mom goes totally nuclear if we’re even sharing the same airspace. It’s just weird.
Moderator: So no problem with this Patterson guy though?
::Briar smiles:: No, not at all. Pat’s…. ::sighs::
Reena: Like I’ve said before: there will be trouble. Trust me on this.
Briar: You’re just jealous cuz he’s been checking me out. I know a good guy when I see one, and he’s absolutely prince material.
Reena: Here we go. I wondered how long it would take for her to bring up the whole fairytale prince and castle bit. ::waggles a finger:: Do not make me do an intervention on you, girlfriend.
Briar: What’s wrong with having a handsome prince sweep me off my feet, put me up on his pretty white horse and take me to his gorgeous castle? You know, happily ever after? Like Sleeping Beauty.
Reena: Bad example. Some nosey dude hacks through a bunch of thorn bushes just to see what’s inside the castle. That’s actually breaking and entering, but we’re supposed to think this guy is noble just because he has Prince in front of his name?
Briar: Come on, it’s romantic! How cool is it that this guy would brave those nasty thorns just to wake the princess?
Reena: It’s not cool, it’s creepy. Like hey, I’ve got nothing else to do today but order my peasants around so I’m going to find some sleeping babe and wake her up. Then she’ll fall in love with me. If that’s what it takes for this guy to get a date, he seriously lacks social skills.
Briar: Sorry, my friend really is a bummer about this stuff. Me? I love all the fairytales, even the really scary ones. Like Snow White with the evil step-mom queen person and the really hunky huntsman. What’s not to love?
Reena: Maybe the part when the queen asks for Snow’s liver for supper?
::Briar frowns :: How about Cinderella? You have to love that one.
Reena: Not a chance. That prince? He’s so stupid he couldn’t remember the chick’s name the next morning, or even what she looked like. How’s that for a total flatline IQ?
Briar: See what I have to put up with?
Moderator: Obviously we have some… disagreement here. So tell me, if you could meet your perfect prince/boyfriend, what would he look like?
Briar: Like Pat Daniels.
Reena: Nope, not going there.
Moderator: Ah, come on. Humor us.
::Reena mutters under her breath:: Okay, he’d be smart and sexy and…own a Formula One race car that he’d let me borrow every now and then.
Moderator: And so there we have it – two teens in search of a prince who has a white horse--
Reena: Or a race car--
Moderator: And who are growing up in Bliss, Georgia where fairytales may or may not come true. Thanks for joining us, ladies.
Briar: It’s been fun. Thanks.
Reena: Yeah. What she said. Can we go now?


---
Yay, thank you so so much Jana - and Briar and Reena too!!  

Hope you all enjoyed Jana's awesome post! And don't forget to follow Jana's Site, follow her on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest, and check out her books on Goodreads!  If you're interested in the brilliant Briar Rose - and yes: it really is brilliant - it came out September 12th, is published by Macmillan and you can check it out on Goodreads and Amazon!! :D
And keep up to date with MonthOfGuests on Twitter using #MonthOfGuests2013! And stop by tomorrow for another awesome character interview with the amazing characters of Tera Lynn Childs!!


---


Jana Oliver is an American author. Her books cross many genres, including romance/fantasy and historical mystery. An Iowa native, she currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia.
Her Time Rovers Series is published by Dragon Moon Press, a Canadian speculative fiction publisher, and in e-book form by Nevermore Press. The series has been nominated for fifteen awards and has won twelve, including ForeWord Magazine's Editor's Choice Book of the Year, the first time a science fiction novel has received that honor.
Her latest young adult series (The Demon Trappers) is published in the US by St. Martin's Press (THE DEMON TRAPPER'S DAUGHTER, SOUL THIEF and FORGIVEN).The series is also published in the UK, Germany, France, Poland, Russia, Turkey and Brazil.

No comments: