Monday 14 March 2011

On My Wishlist (#4)

On My Wishlist is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Book Chick City that runs every Saturday.  It's a place where you can put up all the books you're desperate to read, but haven't actually bought them yet.  They can be old, new or forthcoming.    And, even better, everyone can join in with too, because there's a Mr Linky so you can put your post up.  All you have to do is click on the link below:



Hiya!  As usual, a fair few books On My Wishlist.  The one and only downfall of blogging is that my Wanted list doubles daily!  I can't keep up!  I'm so sorry that this post is late!  It's been hectic!

Anyway, this is what I'm wishing for this week:

You Against Me
By: Jenny Downham

Found: On Sammee (I Want To Read That)'s Blog
Published:

Synopsis From Goodreads:
If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.
Well, Sammee gave it 5*, and I've come to trust her reviews: all the book's on her blog I've bought and read I've loved.  I'm just about to read her first book, and I'm really looking forwards to it.  This just looks amazing!  And I actually really like the cover.
 


Strange Angels
Series: Strange Angels, Book One
By: Lili St. Crow
Found: On Avery (Avery's Book Nook)'s Blog
Published:

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Dru Anderson has what her grandmother called “the touch.” (Comes in handy when you’re traveling from town to town with your dad, hunting ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional zombie.)
Then her dad turns up dead—but still walking—and Dru knows she’s next. Even worse, she’s got two guys hungry for her affections, and they’re not about to let the fiercely independent Dru go it alone. Will Dru discover just how special she really is before coming face-to-fang with whatever—or whoever— is hunting her?
This looks like it's about a good ol' kick-butt heroine.  Plus, really like the cover.  Is that just me?  It looks very dramatic and I love the whole: "Dru Anderson: Night Hunter.  Knife Thrower.  Heart Breaker."  Sounds good to me!



Between Shades of Gray
By: Ruta Sepetys
Found: On Coffee and a Book Chick's Blog
Published: 22nd March 2011

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions.
Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously—and at great risk—documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.
This isn't out yet, but I'm already wishing for it.  It looks so beautiful, so sad and so... well, amazing.  And the cover, with the little shoot of green peeking out among all the shades of gray... well, it looks like a good symbolism of the story.
 

The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)The Body Finder
Series: The Body Finder, Book One
By: Kimberly Derting
Found: On Jenny (The Supernatural Snark)'s Blog
Published:

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.
YA, paranormal and crime-murder-mystery?  Three of my favourite things rolled into one!  I am so wishing for this one!  Plus, Jenny's blog is where I found it, and I trust her opinions as much as I trust Sammee's.  So, can't wait to get this book!

 
Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1)Immortal Beloved
Series: Immortal Beloved, Book One
By: Cate Tiernan
Found: On Amazon
Published: 6th January 2011

Synopsis From Goodreads:
New name, new town, new life. Nastasya has done it too often to count. And there's no end in sight. Nothing ever really ends ...when you're immortal. But now, after centuries of feeding from the lives of the innocents around her, of living with little care for others, Nastasya is ready to turn towards the light. 'After some of the events I've witnessed I felt like I was a shell with nothing alive left in me. I hadn't been going around killing people, but people were hurt -- the memories just kept trickling in like rivulets of fresh acid dripping into my brain until I wanted to scream. It was in my blood, I knew. A darkness. The darkness. I had inherited it, along with my immortality and my black eyes.' Captivating, intense and with an incredible and original voice, EVERLASTING LIFE is a haunting story of friendship, love and secrets, tragedy and loss. Sometimes life is eternal...
I've loved Cate Tiernan's Sweep series, and this one looks brilliant too.  Plus, you gotta love this cover: so, so gorgeous, with the blood red, white, gray and black.  And then there's the light at the end of the forest, and the thorns on the branches...  And I'm babbling.  This book just looks amazing.



Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Paranormalcy
Series: Paranormalcy, Book One
By: Kiersten White
Found: I'm so sorry, I've forgotten! 
Published: 6th January 2011

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.
I've heard amazing things about this book, and I'm desperate to get my hands on it!  And I know I saw it on someone's blog recently, and I've forgotten - again!  Sorry!  But sooo wishing for this!



Raised by WolvesRaised By Wolves
Series: Raised By Wolves, Book One
By: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Found: In a Waterstones Store
Published: 16th September 2010

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.
But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.
But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?
This looks absolutely incredible, and I've seen on the cover it says: '"Quite simply, the most compelling werewolf book out there." Melissa Marr'.  And, well, I love to be compelled!



Shadows (Dark Touch, #1)
Shadows
Series: Dark Touch, Book One
By: Amy Meredith
Found: On Amazon
Published: 1st April 2010

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Fifteen-year-old Eve Evergold is cute, sassy and enjoying a busy social life. What she doesn't know yet is that someone close to her is an evil demon that only she has the supernatural power to defeat. She needs to work out who it is - and fast! Because although there's something very attractive about the dark side...dating a demon? Pure hell!
This looks amazing and I've been wishing for it since... well, forever ago.  Plus, you gotta love the cover: so gorgeous!




So, that's my very long, very late Wishlist! 

What are you guys wishing for this week?


4 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

I'm excited for Immortal beloved, I hope you get it soon.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Maidenveil said...

Hi, Megan! Ooh, love your wishlist! I'm wishing for Body Finder and You against me too! :)

Happy Reading!

-Len of Musings of a Reader Happy

Jenny said...

You've got some amazing books on that list! Raised By Wolves was one of my favorite reads last year, I'm dying to read book 2, Trial By Fire:) The Body Finder and Paranormalcy I loved as well, can't wait to see what you think!

Sara said...

Great list! Have to say that most of them are on my wishlist too :)