Tuesday 1 March 2011

Vampire Academy – Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Publisher: Penguin Razor Bill
Format: Paperback
Published: 2010
Number of Pages: 585
Book: Bought
Genre: Dark Romance, Action, Fantasy, YA


Paperback | Hardcover | Perfect Paperback


Warning: Contains Spoilers From Previous Books

It all comes down to now.
The Queen is dead and the Moroi world will never be the same.
Rose Hathaway is awaiting wrongful execution and there exists only one man who can stall this terrible fate.  Rose must look to both Dimitri and Adrian, the two great loves of her life, to find him.
With her best friend, Lissa, in a deadly struggle for the royal throne, the girls find themselves forced to rely upon enemies and questioning those they thought they could trust...
But what if true freedom means sacrificing the most important thing of all?
Each other.

Review:
All I can say is that I love this series – and I mean love it. 
Last Sacrifice was a little bitter-sweet; sweet because it was absolutely amazing and bitter because it’s the last one in the series told from Rose’s point of view.  Of course, there is a new spin-off series coming out soon – but not soon enough – about other characters from the books.  I have it on fairly good authority that we met them in Blood Promise...
Last Sacrifice started a few days after Spirit Bound finished – and after one of the most mind-blowing cliff-hangers ever.  Rose is in trouble, again, but for once she’s actually innocent.  She’s been accused of murdering Queen Tatiana, and the evidence is enough to get her locked up and awaiting trial – a trial that, if she’s found guilty, will lead to her execution... 
Rose is good-old Rose: brilliant, smart, sarcastic and just plain awesome.  Plus, she shows her weak sides; like how she’s completely incapable of sitting still and the fact that she’s claustrophobic.  All these teeny details make her so real, so unique.  I feel like I actually know her, like I’ve actually been there with her, like she’s actually my best friend.  Insane?  Probably.  That’s just how these books make me feel – Richelle Mead is just that good.  I’m honestly going to miss her, even though I know she isn’t real.
Dimitri’s back!  You guys have no idea how hard it was for me to keep the lid on that one.  Probably one of hardest things I’ve ever done.  But, he’s back, and I’m so happy!  You can tell that his time as a Strigoi has scarred him, but he’s stronger than ever.  And some of the scenes between Rose and him... some of the things they said... pure genius.  And Dimitri, well, you should know I’ve always been Team Dimka, Team Comrade.  I just love him, and I really liked seeing his slightly vulnerable side.
Lissa... I’ve always loved her.  Now though, well, wow.  She showed just how strong, how beautiful and how good she can be, and I loved her even more for it.  The complete selflessness she showed, and her protection for Rose has made her more amazing in my eyes than she’s ever been before.  She’s grown up, and I can hardly recognise her as the insecure girl who cut herself from the first book. 
Plus, the way Richelle Mead effortlessly links Lissa and Rose’s stories still amazes me.  I loved the way Rose let us have an inside peek at all the mayhem at the Royal Court, even while she was right in the middle of her own dilemmas. 
It’s really hard to know how to describe this book without giving anything away.  So, I’m going to say: it’s brilliant.  Action-packed, suspenseful, beautiful, funny, and absolutely amazing.  And, again, I was caught by surprise.  I honestly don’t remember a series that has caught me more off-balance that Vampire Academy has.  I loved the feeling: it made me need to read on – sometimes more than I felt I needed to sleep, eat or work. 
Also, I’ve fallen in love with every single character, and not just the main ones, but all of them.  Mia, Jill, Eddie, Mikhail, Sydney – everyone.  And the world Mead’s created... it’s one of my very favourite fictional worlds ever.  I would pack my bags and move there now if I could.  I don’t want to leave it, don’t want to leave Rose, but the coming of Bloodlines eases the blow a little.  It’s released in August – I think – and I’m counting down the days.
This series has made me feel everything: love, hate, fear, laughter, terrible sadness, joy, and almost belonging.  If you haven’t read this, you’re probably going to think I’m completely insane.  If you have, you’ll – hopefully – understand.  I know Vampire Academy is going to be one of the first books I pick up when I need to escape: a comfort book.  That may sound odd, but this book is so incredible I can’t praise it enough.  If you haven’t read it, read it right. now.  I mean it.  It definitely won’t disappoint. 


P.S. Quick note on the covers: I love the new red paperback (it's the one I have) and I love the hardback: very dramatic.  But... what's with the girl on the Perfect Paperback book?  Is she Rose?  Is she Lissa?  It's confusing!  What do you make of it?

Star Rating:
5 Out of 5


Read This Book If You Liked:
Vampire Academy: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Dark Academy by Gabriella Poole
The Immortals Alyson Noel

Challenges It's Taking Part In:

5 comments:

Athena said...

I'm so happy the Dimitri's back, too! I love him so much! I haven't finished the book yet, but I looked at the ending (I know, I know, I couldn't help it, though) and I love the it! That's good that you loved it, too!

*Melissa* said...

I absolutely loved your review. I think you captured well what Richelle Mead's books do to you. Her books are an emotional roller coaster that drives me crazy but I love it. There were so many great Rose & Dimitri scenes that my heart fluttered. Ive said it before I think Richelle is pure genius. I have fallen in love with all the side characters as well she did such an amazing job at creating all these 3 dimensional characters. I recently made my sister read this series and she just finished it 2 days ago and she seriously didn't wanted to stop reading because she was so scared to end the series.She didn't want it to be over like so many other fans. I am always so excited when I find another VA Fan.

John Phillips said...

DO YOU WISH TO BE A VAMPIRE OR YOU WANT POWERS AND PROTECTION COME AND BE AMONG THE VAMPIRES KINGDOM TODAY AND YOU GET WHAT EVER YOU DESIRE CONTACT LORD SHAKA AT ( lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com )
Being a vampire has certain limitations, but it can also be a ton of fun. Your extra strengths and abilities can make you successful in almost every endeavor you participate in and before you know it the money and acquaintances will come streaming in. You can build wealth and gain prestige and notoriety and attempt things you may never have even considered as a human. One thing you will definitely have more of is time. Beef up your education and learn all you ever wanted to. Travel the world to see things most people only ever see on TV This is going to be especially fun if you turned to share your life with one of us. Let us show you the wonders of the world. Learn new languages, go skydiving or scuba dive with sharks, visit the African safari. You no longer need to be scared of nature or wildlife you will have become the worlds strongest predator. Have fun with it and your life as a vampire can be more fulfilling than you ever dreamed. Explore, experiment, experience and get excited. There’s a big world out there with lots to see and do and as a vampire, you can do it all, if willing and ever ready to be a full blooded vampire with powers and mighty great skills then these is the opportunity for you to get transformed and turned into a vampire, contact the mighty Lord Shaka and also he is a vampire lord, find him on his email and lay your request and heart wishes to him, trust me you will find him on;( lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com ).

Unknown said...



Hi Guys

i really have to tell this i never thought this is what would happen to me so at the beginning of my life i met somebody in email suddenly somebody wrote me





I got on well with her and she is such a good person

So I'm starting to tell, I've never thought to help me offer me and I never thought to make my dream come true
she asks me to come to a power that I have always wished
and she can help any person start a new life the person


she is really a charitable person


it will help you no matter what you want a vampire yours or something else




This is her e-mail


templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com


I hope your dream comes true

Alandre said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, You can have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) If you want to stop your divorce.
(10 If you want to divorce your husband.
(11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
contact: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com