Monday 27 August 2012

Eye of the Storm by Mark Robson


Series: The Devil's Triangle, Book Two
Publisher: Simon&Schuster
Format: Paperback
Published: 2nd February 2012
Number of Pages: 400
Book: For Review*
Genre: Science-Fiction, Action-Adventure, Thriller, Fantasy, Mystery, YA, YA-Child Crossover
Recommended Age: 11+
Contains: Violence, Death, Mild Swearing
No Alcohol, Drug References
Author's Site: Mark Robson

The Legend Comes To Life…
Sam Cutler and his best friend Callum are stranded, having crossed to a strange parallel world through a rift in the Bermuda Triangle.  At first, Sam is desperate to get home, but then events take a dramatic twist and he discovers there are things he must do before he can return…
Meanwhile, back in Florida, Sam’s twin sister, Niamh, is still trying to uncover the truth about the boys’ disappearance.  She can sense that her brother is still alive… somewhere.  With her father under arrest, accused of murdering the boys, Niamh must solve the mystery, before her dad is convicted of a crime he didn’t commit.
Time is running out.  Can the twins’ bond bridge the gulf between the two worlds before it’s too late?


Review:
Sam and Callum are still stuck in a bizarre parallel world, having entered via the Bermuda Triangle.  Sam is desperate to get home... until he finds his mother, who has been lost for nine years, and discovers her cause.  Suddenly, he and Callum are needed desperately - there is something terribly important they must do before they can all come home.
Back in our world, Sam's twin Niamh is desperately trying to unravel the mystery behind her brother's disappearance - and trying to clear her father's name, who has been accused of killing the two boys.  She has to prove his innocence and evade the cops - if she isn't there to search, she knows no one will be able to find Sam...
But Sam's facing troubles of his own.  The Imperium are after the band of rebels, and they are determined to make an example out of them...
After reading The Devil's Triangle, I just had to read Eye of the Storm - ASAP!  And it did not disappoint, not even one little bit!  I was pulled straight back into the action, the world – I literally couldn't stop reading.  Once this series gets its hooks into you, it just doesn't let go!  It's so darn addictive!  I quite frankly need Book 3! NEED it!
I love all the main characters so much.  Sam: athletic, smart, a survivor and now a rebel against the communist raptors.  Gotta love it!  I loved how snarky and brave he was – he was a great leader and kind of an adrenaline junkie!  The ‘New Sam’ is a real rebel – hardened and just… changed, though...  As for his sister Niamh, she was determined, resourceful, crafty and desperate to get her brother back.  I loved how logical and matter-of-fact she was – the snarkiness and how she made me laugh was a bonus!  Callum is just the funniest thing, though!  He always manages to make me laugh with his sharp wit and great sense of humour.  His enthusiasm doubled with his sarcasm was addictive and very funny and he was also a complete genius!  I love Cal, and his brains never ceased to surprise me.  Again, I have to mention the supporting characters.  Matt, Claire, Archie…  The latter was a bit of a posh twit to begin with, but he was actually ok and really funny.  Plus: evil genius alert!  Oh, and I have to mention Nipper, the raptor, ‘cause I just loved him.  He was loyal and protective and so, so brave!  Human-wise, I especially love Carrie. Over enthusiastic, sweet and cheerful, she was just so darn cute!  As for her brother Tony: yum!  And I loved that all the various raptors and rebels all had such distinct personalities.
I loved this world so much.  Mainly ‘cause of the raptors: highly intelligent, advanced and pure animal.  And Communists too!  See why I love it?  It’s just so creative and new and scarily brilliant.  I loved learning more about all the raptor traditions and rules.  Well, I just love the world.  But, uh, I don't think I really wanna go there...
Oh, and I just adored Mark's writing: descriptive so I can see the whole world in my head, and not at all heavy. Also, I love how it jumps from Niamh in our world to Sam in the parallel world. As cool as the jump perspective is, the fact that we got to see into Nipper's mind was SO MUCH COOLER!  I loved seeing into the raptor's head, especially as I have a real big soft spot for Nipper!  As for the plot, it was just awesome 'cause it was pure action!  There were twists and turns galore!  I really couldn't tell where it was going.  One twist in particular... yeah, I really didn't see that one coming.  Not in the least.  And as for the end... Well. I. Must. Have. Book. 3!
A parallel world, a psychic link and a family torn apart on either side, Eye Of The Storm was a brilliant adventure - one full of mystery, suspense and communist dinosaurs! I loved every single second, was totally addicted, and I can't wait to get my hands on Book 3!  I recommend it to boys, girls, reluctant readers and bookworms alike!

Star Rating:
4½ Out of 5



Read this book if you liked:
The Devil's Triangle by Mark Robson
Time Riders by Alex Scarrow


Challenges It's Taking Part In:

Happy Reading
Megan
* This book was received from the author exchange for an honest review

2 comments:

Cliona said...

Amazing review! I really want to read to read the first in this series, it sounds like such a fab concept :)

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

It's so much fun! I love the communist raptors - that one just kills me!! ;)