Tuesday 24 January 2012

Teaser Tuesday (#27)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.

Here are the rules:
  • Open your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR list if they like your teaser!
This teaser is from a book I have just finished - and loved!  My review should be up soon, but I seriously recommend this one!


 
Stones for My Father
From Stones For My Father by Trilby Kent Chapter Ten, Page 126
Ma didn't believe in headaches, so we'd not worried when he'd said that morning that his eyes were sore.
In the end, it was Marieta who first noticed he cluster of tiny red spots on his chest.

Stones For My Father by Trilby Kent
Synopsis From Goodreads:

A powerful story about a forgotten war, a family divided and a child’s fight for survival.
Corlie Roux’s farm life in South Africa is not easy: the Transvaal is beautiful, but it is also a harsh place where the heat can be so intense that even raindrops sizzle.  When her beloved father dies, she is left with a mother who is as devoted to her sons as she is cruel to her daughter.  Despite this, Corlie finds comfort in her friend Sipho, in Africa itself and the stories she creates for her brothers.  But Corlie’s world is about to vanish: the British are invading and driving Boer families like hers from their farms.  Some escape into the bush to fight the enemy.  The unlucky ones are rounded up and sent to internment camps.
Will Corlie’s strength and devotion to her country sustain her through the suffering and misery she finds in the camp at Kroonstad?  That may depend on a soldier from faraway Canada and on inner resources Corlie never dreamt she had…


Well, there's my teaser!  Hope you liked it!

What's your teaser this week?

1 comment:

Maxy said...

Hello,
I really love your blog and I just became a follower!

I also just made a blog of my own... and I put my first post on today! Please check it out here:
http://bookalishous.blogspot.com
Please have a look and maybe (if I'm lucky) you'll become a follower!
Hugs,
Maxy